We have all been sick a little too much this season and now that it is spring we are all antsy to enjoy the sunshine. Keep your colds away and allergies at bay with this fabulous and easy recipe! The benefits of ginger, honey and lemon are known far and wide but to sum it up we listed a few reasons below:
- Ginger: As a natural antibacterial and antiviral, ginger helps fight infections in your body, and helps boost your overall immunity. Ginger has been used for centuries to help fight the cold!
- Lemon: The acidity in lemon (and other citrus) helps to cut through phlegm and help clear you out. Lemon is also packed with vitamin C—an excellent nutrient for boosting your immune system.
- Honey: In recent studies, honey has performed consistently better as a cough suppressant in comparison to over-the-counter medicines. A little bit helps fight that scratchy, tickly throat. Like ginger, honey is also a natural antibacterial and antiviral, helping to boost your immune system.
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- Juice of three lemons (about ⅓ cup)
- Ice and water
- In a heat-proof bowl (or a glass measuring cup), mix together the ginger pieces, honey, and boiling water. Stir well until the honey is dissolved, and then let steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a two quart pitcher with ice. Once the ginger is done steeping, strain liquid into the pitcher, and add in the lemon juice. Fill the rest of the way with water, and stir well.