Fourth of july is right around the corner and one of my personal favorite nostalgic moments about this holiday is BBQ’ing! Instead of showing up empty handed, bring something homemade to show some thought went into your dish, and adding a little flare of cuteness with festive, themed decor is always a nice touch!
We can go prettttty simple here GG’s, this is not about impressing with sophistication but more so being thoughtful, well mannered and helping out the hostess. Apps can be pretty simple and most are nearly certain to please most. Apps are the perfect bite sized snack to hold you over until the cookout begins and bringing them to a party will make you everyone’s favorite because let’s face it, who wants to wait until dinner!?
These appetizers in particular are guaranteed to bring out the patriotism in all with their adorable red, white and blue accents that are the perfect compliment to celebrating the 4th in style.
The first appetizer is a twist on the classic deviled eggs. These deviled eggs are dyed red and blue on the outside, so the festivities of fourth of july is just oozing out of them. They’re the perfect party appetizer to bring and will make everyone love you! The next appetizer is a delicious cheese dip with tortilla chips. Go out to your local grocery story and find the tortilla chips that are blue, red and normal. You can even make your own tortilla chips and use star shaped cookie cutters that make it even more patriotic. The cheese dip is so good that you’ll be going back for seconds and thirds with this dip. The fourth appetizer is a red, white and blue fruit salad with a honey lime dressing. This is the perfect hint of citrus with a little bit of sweetness and is such a great idea for any outdoor cook out. Another great appetizer is a broccoli salad with blueberries and apples. Its healthy and delicious and will have every kid and adult swooning alike. The last appetizer can be used before the meal or after, its a 4th of july american flag platter with fruits and yogurt pretzels. These are such delicious and great appetizers that will make everyone fall in love with the fourth of July!
Patriotic Deviled Eggs
- 8 eggs
- food coloring
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- dash pepper
- dash onion powder
- paprika for dusting
- To hard boil eggs: place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring eggs to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain eggs and cover with ice water. Peel shells off of eggs once cooled off.
- To dye eggs: place eggs in a container and cover with water. You will need 20 drops of food coloring per 1/2 cup of water. Measure water that you pour over peeled hard boiled eggs and add the appropriate amount of food coloring. Allow to sit in food coloring mixture for 2 hours. Remove from food coloring and dry off.
- Deviled Eggs:Slice hard boiled eggs in half. Remove yolks and mash. Add mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, dry mustard, pepper and onion powder. Stir well. Pipe yolk mixture into egg white halves. Sprinkle with paprika. Store in the refrigerator.
- Tortilla Chips
- Red Pepper Strips
- 1-½ cups Vermont White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup diced Vidalia onion
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon herbs de provence
- ¼ teaspoon creole seasoning
- Combine all ingredients for dip until mixed thoroughly. Place in baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling hot!
- 16 oz of Strawberries, washed and cut in half
- 1 pint of blueberries, rinsed
- 3 bananas sliced in thick chunks
- 1/8 cup of honey
- 1 fresh lime
- Wash and cut all your fruit.
- Combine in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Here is a hint – microwave your lime for 10 seconds before you cut and squeeze it. You will get more out of it after it was warmed up.
- Drizzle the honey lime glaze over the fruit and stir slightly to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Platter American Flag:
- Strawberries (or Watermelon) cut into pieces
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzels (or yogurt covered pretzels depending on your preference)
- Wash your blueberries and strawberries (or watermelon)
- Place Blueberries in a bowl, then place them in the upper left hand of the platter
- Slice your strawberries or watermelon and place in lines
- Place your chocolate or yogurt covered pretzels in between the strawberry or watermelon lines
- There you have it, a fruit American Flag that is perfect for any party!
- 1 ½ pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 large apple, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For the creamy yogurt poppy seed dressing:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Place broccoli, blueberries, red onion, cranberries, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. In a small bowl, toss apple with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Add to the big bowl with the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Salad may be served immediately or refrigerated until serving. It will last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.