For those who are naturally over achievers and prefer au natural (even with the pumpkins🙄)checkout this easy and super cheap three step guide.
The thing that makes pumpkins & gourds rot to begin with is the dirt and mold from the fields where they were grown, duh.
So, what causes the problem must be removed!
How to Preserve Pumpkins & Gourds:
◦ Prepare a mixture of bleach, water and dish soap.
◦ (One gallon water, 2 T. bleach and a squirt of dish soap.)
◦ Soak real gourds for 15 to 30 minutes.
◦ Use a tub or even your kitchen sink.
◦ Rinse and dry well.
◦ Before adding to your decor, it’s best to give your pumpkins a quick coat of spray matte sealer which helps preserve them even longer.
After filling the sink I first did d a batch of the white pumpkins first, followed by the big heirloom pumpkins. Full dunk for each punky, including the stem! Then rinse with warm water and gently pat them dry with a cloth.