By Sarah McEvoy
Talk Derby to Me: GG Fashion Guide
1. We all want to look our best at the derby, but girls, leave the Valentino pumps behind for this one. The cobblestone pathways are better fit for a low Jack Roger heel, Tory Burch flats or some good old Sperry’s.
2. This is a rare occasion where you do not want too have the flashiest jewelry in the crowd. Caution: stay AWAY from the statement necklace. Let your hat be the center of attention.
3. A cute bag is a must. The Vineyard Vines Classic Tote and Straw Clutch are both functional, yet fashionable options for the derby.
4. The last thing you want to do is to be readjusting your hat the entire day. Bring a set of pins/bobby pins incase your hat starts acting up.
5. Two words: preppy and pastels. Your dress should screammm 203. No better way to show off your inner GG than a Lily Pulitzer dress.
6. Lastly, for the men out there, it’s quite simple: seersucker pants, canvas belt and bow tie a.k.a. go to Vineyard Vines.
One Word: HATS
It doesn’t matter where your seats are at the race. There is only one rule: make sure there is a hat on the top of your head! If you come to the derby without a hat, you might as well be naked. Find a hat that suits your personality, it can be simple or over the top, whichever your prefer. Add some feathers, flowers, bows and ribbon to give your hat the pizzazz it needs.
Booze it Up
Make sure you aren’t watching the derby empty handed.
1. Bourbon Smash
3. Bourbon Balls (bourbon, chocolate & pecans)