Oh yes, I am dipping back all the way to 2013, the year we met kale as it made its huge debut as THE veggie of the year. I think it is safe to say that we all have heard far too much about kale (perhaps you too have met some Kale babies along the way) and I totally agree that kale is almost over. But even if it is, or if it stays trending forever, I am sharing this recipe because it is ALWAYS such a huge hit and one of my total favorites. This dip is the perfect, healthy addition or alternative to any boredom among the usual turkey sandwiches or any other regulars and is equally as delicious when dipped with veggies or spread on crackers, breads, etc. Whether you are looking for a quick app to bring to a small party or just want to make something to keep on hand at home, this dip is worth dipping into!Ingredients (makes 2 cups):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 5 ounces chopped kale, ribs removed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (for garnish-optional)
- 1 cup chopped (canned) artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and onion, and sauté for 1 minute. Add kale and continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add wine and cover for 1 minute or until kale has wilted and all the liquid has dissolved from the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove mixture from stove and transfer to a food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining ingredients and stir together, then add the kale mixture, mix well.