Tulips are the most favored flower of spring and now that they have arrived I think it is crucial that we know how to tend to them! Tulips continue to grow once they are cut and it is important to keep that in mind when choosing the vase.
1. Buy tulips that are not fully opened.
2. Cut 1/4 inch off the stems at a 45-degree angle.
3. Start with a taller vase – as time goes on you can move them into smaller vases and eventually bud vases.
4. Wash your vase well to remove all bacteria, use cold water for the tulips and a small amount of flower food.
5. Use a small amount of fresh water and continue to replenish – Tulips are among the more thirsty flowers out there!
6. Stay out of direct sunlight!
7. If your tulips are wilted in the morning, no big deal! Cut their stems, put them in a taller vase, add a little cold water and they will be upright in no time.