So Easter has come and gone, but the ham? Not so much. Fear not. I have three all time favorite recipes that make ham the winning ingredient in each of these dishes, all of which happen to cater to breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
Not only that but they are low carb and easily freezable so you can stash away the goodies or share with friends and family in freezer safe Tupperware.
My top favorite recipe to throw in the slow cooker is PEA SOUP.
It is absurdly easy and with a few tricks you can literally have this dish cooking while you work around the house or even LEAVE the house to go to work.
Personally I love using a slow cooker – it shreds the ham to that perfect melt in your mouth level and it leaves an overall lingering hint of ham without it overwhelming the purity of the dish in its entirety.
With less than 10 ingredients, a little chopping and then literally hitting the timer for 4-7 hours on low in a slow cooker, you are left with a divine, hearty and healthy soup that lasts forever.
Prep time: under 15 mins
- celery and carrots
- bay leaf (1)
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 6-8 cups water
- 16 ounce bag of split peas dried
- ham bone
- Chop all veggies.
- Place the ham bone inside the crockpot, which should be on low.
- Pour in the peas.
- Then the chopped veggies.
- Shove a bay leaf inside so it is submerged and sprinkle the thyme around the top.
- Gently stir, then cover.
- Leave on low for 4-8 hours.
- *Salt and pepper to taste.
- *GG trick: I personally also like to throw in some diced ham pieces but to each their own.